Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Timaru Creek to Lake Hawea


Tuesday, 15th January 2013   9.25 hrs 23.3 kms

Leaving my campsite bright and early I continued on down the Timaru Creek with another 2 river crossings before I was done. In reality it is a river, not a creek - perhaps in dry summers it is a lot smaller. Evidence that not too long ago it was a lot higher too, which would have made it impassable.

At a well marked junction  I then had to leave the valley and climb steeply for 500m to reach Stodys Hut - an old dirt floored hut that would nevertheless be very comfortable at the end of a long day. For me though it was just a morning tea stop.

From there an old 4WD track took me another 300m up onto the ridge line - some views of surrounding mountains and valleys, but high cloud preventing it from being a great view day.

A few kms of the 4WD track, and then, not to be bypassed, a final climb up to Breast Hill (1580m) for lunch  On a clear day great views of lakes Hawea and Wanaka and even to Mt Aspiring .... but today I was in cloud and saw less and less while I was there.

From there the edge of the cliffs are followed downwards to a new Pakituhi Hut, by which time I was starting to get some views of the lake and surrounds. From the hut it is an, at times, steep descent of 950m down to the lake shore but with views like this who can complain !

Down at the road again, in the interest of decency  I had to cover my terminally ripped shorts with my bright red over trousers for a brief road walk.

No comments:

Post a Comment