Sunday, January 27, 2013

Southland turns on its best in the Longwoods


Saturday, 26th January 2013  37 kms 10 hrs 45 mins

First a day pack section through Island Bush and to the start of Merivale Rd, where I picked up my overnight pack.

Then up Merivale Rd, first through paddocks, and then continuing as a forest road for some way in the start of the Longwood Forest.

Eventually the road was replaced by a rambling bush track through some delightful bush, then soon enough started a steady climb up onto Bald Hill (805m)  A good clear view of Bluff Hill - my final TA destination in a few days' time

But for now a great spot for lunch, and then onwards, down a transmission tower road for a while, before changing again to another delightful bush track - bright colours from the sunny day, mossy covered trees and rocks, and a good variety of bush.

From time to time it returned to open tops with views all around - to Fiordland, Stewart Island, Bluff, and back from where I had come.

My last major peak for TA of Longwood Trig at 764m.

Eventually descended from the tops down to Martins Hut - a very quaint and obviously ancient hut that fortunately is still kept for all to enjoy (picture). It reminded me of a differently quaint hut that was my first TA hut - Bog Inn in the Pureora Forest.

No comments:

Post a Comment