Thursday, January 10, 2013

Thunderstorms in the Two Thumb Range

Wednesday, 9th January 2013   7.5 hrs  20.2 kms


With warnings of high winds by midday, I left Stone Hut before 6 am. The first section is a pleasant walk up Bush Stream - now a lot smaller than yesterday - to Royal Hut.

From there starts a 700m climb, first up a little side stream, and then increasingly steeper sections at the head of the valley. After 2 hrs I reached Stag Saddle - at 1925m the highest point on Te Araroa. By now it was drizzling, and strong wind gusts were trying to blow me over.

But I had to stop to take a  photo of where the Lake Tekapo view should be - but wasn't - because of the low cloud. Not too worry - some stunning photos from last time I was here.

Now strong cold winds and drizzle / rain were chasing me off the mountain - just when I was thinking this was my worst Te Araroa weather day yet, the lightning and thunderstorms started - not a happy tramper !

Pleased to reach the quaint old Camp Stream Hut (photo) and to get a fire going to warm me and dry my clothes. A wild night with strong winds, rain, and plenty of thunder

No comments:

Post a Comment