Monday, April 9, 2012

Clent Saddle to Double Hut

Wednesday March 21 14 kms 7.25 hrs

Today was expected to be a slow day, and I was not disappointed. But it was a great day – fine, sunny, warm, no clouds, with a real mountain saddle to cross. Not pressured for time because of yesterday’s efforts, so just a day to enjoy it as it happened. First off, the trail continued on up Round Hill Creek with more river crossings. I deliberately took the spur up the hill after Logans Stream to get up onto the tops sooner to see more of the mountains. Which meant more tussocky sidling, and I managed to fall in a hole on top of my trusty wooden river crossing pole – I was fine but it snapped in half. Fortunately no more river crossings of note this trip.

So soon enough I reached Clent Saddle (1500m) with views onwards down into the Lake Heron basin. A number of decent scree slopes to sidle across next. As expected, the marker poles were a long way apart, and not having good eyesight, this meant a stop at each one, using the binoculars to spot the next one (if I was lucky), and / or using guesswork, and generally relating the superb scenery to the map. Visibility perfect – what a relief !

So worked my way over scree slopes, into and out of side streams, down ridgelines, and then onto a telltale trail down an old fenceline down into the valley below. Now hot with no wind, so pleased then to reach the signposted turnoff to Double Hut, with a view of a shining Lake Heron in the distance.

No comments:

Post a Comment