Monday, April 9, 2012

Bealey to Harper River

Saturday March 17 22 kms 8 hours

Back on the trail after a few weeks’ break. A fine and sunny day
for a gradual ascent through the beech forest, and then out into
the open on the way to Lagoon Saddle. Great views of mountains
and valleys, but rain further west on the Main Divide. Past the
saddle the easy track soon enters the forest again. Stopped in
to fill out the hut book at the A Frame Hut, and found I was
No 17 walking TA this year.

Then on again following the river, with a sunny lunch spot beside
a side stream, until reaching the Hamilton Hut early afternoon.
Tempted to stay and do a side trip, but taking advantage of the
fine weather, I continued on. I was expecting this next section
to be a rough river walk, but on encountering a sign about no
further vehicle access from the direction I was heading, I
knew I was in for some faster travel on a 4WD track. I continued
on, eventually finding a camping spot in some trees beside a good
side stream, which was sheltered from the NW wind coming down
the valley.

No comments:

Post a Comment