Monday, March 28, 2011

North Island Last Day

Sunday 27th March 20.5 kms 6 hrs

A wandering track took me up into the cloud again on my way to Mt Kaukau and then along the Skyline Walkway in what Wellingtonians would call a light breeze - others would just say it was quite windy. Then down into the western suburbs of Ngaio and Wadestown through some charming parks and streets to the Botanic Gardens. But learning quickly that walking around Wellington involves very few level stretches.

The Northern Walkway route took me to the Botanic Gardens and the top of the Cable Car, and the City to Sea Walkway then took me without too many hitches down to the southern coast at Island Bay - more hills, more parks, and then just when it should give up and go down to the sea, it zigzagged up a final hill and along a ridge line just at the same time that it really did rain for a while.

But there it was - the south coast of the North Island and so I was soon down onto a pleasant walk around The Esplanade to the official end of Te Araroa North Island in the main settlement at Island Bay. Great sea and sky views, no southerly wind blasting me, so what a great way to finish my North Island travels. In the picture is Taputeranga Island just off the coast at Island Bay.

No comments:

Post a Comment