Sunday, February 27, 2011

Palmerston North to Burtons Track

Saturday 26th Feb 25.4 kms 5.5 hours

Crossing the Manawatu River I soon joined the Turitea Walkway that passes close to the Massey Campus, and then heads away from the city. The instructions always looked confusing, but I had no need for concern as the path was well marked with Te Araroa signs.

After a while this joined a minor road as it took me towards the hills, from where I was on an old track now used only for cycling and walking. More minor roads took me into the pleasant little Kahuterawa valley, which I then followed upstream to the end of the road, and the start of the next walking / cycling track - Back Track, which used to be a minor road, but now just wanders up through the bush onto a road providing access for logging trucks. From there not too far to my pickup point for the day.

Now into serious logging country, but being a Saturday we expected nothing, but they were putting more shingle on the narrow and winding Scotts Rd, so Hazel had to cope with dodging the shingle trucks. Fortunately on the way down our timing was great, and we avoided them.

No comments:

Post a Comment