Sunday, January 17, 2010

Auckland to Totara Park

I was planning to be in Northland again by now to continue my Te Araroa travels from where I left off in November, but not there yet. So I have become a weekend Te Araroa walker that at least lets me walk Te Araroa from home in Auckland south via day walks. Quite a few of those within a short drive from home, so today was the first of those

Sunday 17th January 2010 - 42 km - 8 hours

From home in Epsom through the gem of Cornwall Park, then down to the Manukau Harbour following it around through Ambury Farm Park, and along the Coastal Walk to the Otuataua Stonefields - the home of one of the cutest wee volcanic cones in the Auckland area. Then a road hop around past the airport and off towards Manukau City, but with a deviation through the Puhinui Reserve - and a not so pleasant wade through the Puhinui Stream.

Then onto Manukau City, finding the Puhinui Stream from time to time, and using it to get under the southern motorway and onto its most enjoyable forest section - the Puhinui Stream Track. Which delivered me to Totara Park and my pickup for the day

Picture - the path goes ever on - here on the edge of the Otuataua Stonefields

1 comment:

  1. I am so proud of you for doing this Tony -- instead of National Service every New Zealander should have to do a few days of this amazing walk. When you have completed the walk to the bottom of the South Island I will make arrangements for you to start here in Australia -- I will write you out some directions on the back of an envelope. I will give you a bottle of water too because I'm your brother.

    Keep it up.

    Mark

    ReplyDelete